We live in and love our jeans, but denim is a dirty business. A pair of jeans contaminates the same amount of water as one person drinks in 13 years, approximately 8000 liters. So, how do we break the cycle and begin to repair the damage done? Providing a one-time gimmick like an “eco jean” or a one-off capsule collection wasn’t good enough. We wanted to pursue sustainability in a sustainable way.
Environmental responsibility is at the forefront of Lola’s creative vision. We know there is still a lot to learn and for us to accomplish, but we have to start somewhere. We are building an ethical supply chain that creates high-quality, low-impact, long-lasting, affordable denim. We have started at the source and aim to be as transparent as possible. From the raw materials, to innovative washing techniques, to the finished product—we reduced our water consumption by 80%.
Our signature stretch denim now contains 80% recycled cotton, made from post-consumer waste and denim floor scraps. 18% Tencel TM Lyocell fibers, derived from sustainable wood sources and sustainably managed forests. Wood and pulp used by Lenzing Group is harvested from certified controlled sources. They are bio-degradable and compostable under industrial home, soil, and marine conditions, thus they can fully revert to nature. Finally, 2% Lycra for that perfect stretch.
Our Sustainable Denim fabric is Global Denim® produced. Ensuring quality control that meets environmental standards eco-responsible and low carbon footprint for a circular economy in textiles.
Our production facilities in Mexico employ Ozone & Nebulization Technology, which, when combined, is an innovative washing technique that has cut our water consumption by 80% and the remaining 20% is entirely re-usable.
Ozone is a powerful bleaching agent that is created from oxygen. Ozone works quickly and requires fewer rinses compared to other bleaching methods. Ozone is used at the beginning of the process to de-size the fabric and remove any starch and resin that is put into the yarn before being weaved. It is also used at the end to clean the jeans and remove any remaining color residue. At the conclusion of the Ozone process, any remaining ozone is converted back into oxygen and released back into the atmosphere.
Nebulization is used to create an array of different wash variations. The process of nebulization is done with minimal water, chemicals, and does not rely on traditional stone washing. Traditional stone washing processes consist of pumice(stone) break down, creating a sludge that makes the water unrecyclable.
By opting out of old school methods and investing in new technologies, we can proudly say that our sustainable denim line wastes no water. For the little water we do use, it is filtered and reused in everyday laundry and toilets.
Laser Machine Finishing is a technology used to give that authentic finishing effect we all love and crave from our vintage denim. This includes unique hand sands to worn out whiskers and effortless ripple effects.
The process allows the designer’s sketch to be transferred directly onto the jean using a laser. Cutting the manual process that uses toxic chemicals like bleach and potassium permanganate—ensuring reduced environmental impact and worker safety.
We are combining ethics and quality to revolt against the trends of fast fashion and irresponsible production. We are devoted to producing the highest quality denim with minimal environmental impact. As we grow, we continue to focus on progress and champion sustainability one step at a time. The denim we create is a testament of a higher standard you can expect from Lola Jeans.